Friday, May 8, 2009

Time to move on!!

Last week, a girl friend called up and said she accidentally reset her iPod and doesn't know how to reload it. She asked me if I could do it for her. I readily agreed because I love gadgets. I would not say I am tech-savvy, but I use gadgets a lot and inside my handbag, my IPod, my digi-cam is always found besides my cell phone of course.

That was okay, untill one of her comment "I dont know how do you do it but I guess girls are illitrate when it comes to ectronics",took me wondering why is it that girls are generally not aware and not interested in gadgets.

Gadgets, besides being status symbol, are of use and why do we tend to run from using hi-tech electronic items? Gadgets are technology made simpler guys. Stop dreading them. All you have to do is to read the manual they provide it with them. it is easy to read and easy to understand with all those graphical representations.

A li'l knowledge about technology is believe me, not fatal. Rather it makes life easy. Isn't that the reason why MNCs spend a fortune and decades on improving electronics and making them handy?

Today, I thought of bringing a post that could make my girl friends aware of simple gadgets that we use every day and they use it confidently and stop behaving like amateurs when it comes to electronics.

Computer- people, learn to install windows. It is a basic necessity. So that you don't have to be dependent on anyone else whenever your PC needs a re-install. It is very very easy. All you need to do is to run a CD and follow the instructions. Learn to install/ uninstall programs that you require. Learn a few softwares that you may need. And learning doesn't require going to an institute and paying huge fees. Just have the guts to explore things. Almost all softwares come with instructions. Learn to make better use of the internet than just chatting, networking and blogging. No doubt they are integral part of our lives, but reach out, use search engines, dictionaries, news you can use and hell load of information from the Internet. Download, not just wallpapers and songs, but softwares, e-books, movies as well.


Mobile phones- please it is a genuine request that forget the excuse that says "phone to sirf baat karne ki liye hota hai". I guess we are wasting the technology if we do not use it the way it is meant to be.
Mobile phone these days come armed with hi-end technology-camera, music player, videos player, connectivity with bluetooth, wi-fi, 3-G and much more. Exciting. isnt it? Calculator, world clock, converters, there are so many inbuilt functions that can make things as fast as a snap of finger. All we need is to press a few keys and explore it.


IPods/ Mp3 players- Lots of people who carry IPods/ Mp3 players, whether gifted by a relative in foreign or just bought for the sake status symbol, don't know the actual use of it. It isn't meant only to listen music with your ears ducted; it has many other features too. Photos, videos, movies, games, are functions inbuilt. All we need is to look.


Digi cams- remember those clumsy cameras that used the films? Such a boring job it used to be. Get a role, insert it, set focus, roll the camera, click the picture, finish the role, get it developed, only to find out the pictures aren't as good and clear. The occasion remained in the memory lanes only. Hassle free Digital cameras are such relief from the unmanageable and tiresome manual cameras. Aren't they? But most of us don't bother to find out the functions of the camera. All they know is to get the cam and start clicking. No doubt it is as easy, but really, there are loads of functions that can be used for better picture quality and clicking clear picture in different light scenarios.


Video Games- Computer games, video games, play stations, Xbox, Wii.

These are names I am sure many of us will be unaware of. Games are fun guys. Believe me. Try out them once with your guy and if you don't get addicted, it will be fair for you to scold him for them. It is fun more than anything. Dont you remember the days of Mario brothers and brick games?


I guess that is enough for now. I really hope you guys don't bombard abuses and taunts on me for this post.. :D


18 blandishes:

Americanising Desi said...

hahaha no no!
you are so true when you say we arent gadget friendly :P
cuz we arent
it is a guy thing!
we are much towards sexy and saucy :D

Ann said...

Yeah ! You are right. We girls become illiterate when it comes to Technology. Though I am comfortable with the mobile, explored all its functions. Computers are still a mystery for me.

And when it comes to installing a window, GOD, I can't tell you. I am an MCA, still I haven't learnt how to install a window. But this weekend I am gonna learn that for sure.

Thanks Buddy for a great Post. Keep Posting and Keep Rocking ...

IceMaiden said...

Naaaahhhh!!!! who said technology has to do wid gender.. i spend more time playing CS than i spend polishing my nails. hehehe!!! N guys call me up to get their PC's formatted. i m d grl who fixes stuff up on their PC's.. lolz. maybe dats cz computers is my subject.. bt i think its also cz i hav been a tomboy all my life. :)


but seriously, i hav never come across a grl who wasnt gadget frndly. :P maybe dats cz all d grls who i hav come across are all to-be-engineers. :)

oh n btw, we are sexy and saucy too. double threat eh? ;-)

Nice post anyway,

Cheers,
Annie.

muthu said...

hmhm.... I love gadgets... PC s... games... mobiles... viruses and stuff. It s just too much fun...

Do you know that if you buy your own spares and assemble a PC then you will save a minimum of 4 - 5 thousand. and nowadays all most all the s/w s are available online..

But my favorite domain being gaming... esp CS. I also enjoy devil may cry and tomb raider series...

but all the jargon apart yeah, like richa says.. i think it doesn't hurt to know the basics. it s pretty much simple...

WarmSunshine said...

good one Richa :) Girls aren't much into these things really!

I'm a gadget-friendly girl too... phew! :P

Pavitra said...

Hey i really know what you mean.....
My girl friends are shocked when i tell them that i play Counter Strike and Hitman.....just for fun..!
They just don't get the point. I'm with you gurl..!

Richa said...

@ Seher,
:D thnx for not hitting me babes :D

okay, we r saucy and sexy, but gadgets dun hurt babes, they dont give us skin rashes or bad nails :D

Richa said...

@ Girl next door
thanx. thanx. thanx loads. I am so greatful to u if u really wanna learn the window reinstallation. my purpose is solved :D

Richa said...

@ Annie
eeehh.. i feel like hugging you girl :D
>:)<
way to go!!

Richa said...

@ Muthu
u r a guy already :D we know!!

and yeah i knew tht, i got my PC assembled myself too :D

Richa said...

@ mehreen
awww.. ths soo good to know!! hugz for it!! :D

Richa said...

@ Pavitra
u do?? u do girl? play CS?? OMG!! u deserve a standing ovation!! awesome!!
way to go.. with ppl like annie, mehreeen and u, who wud say girls and gadgets no no??

IceMaiden said...

heyyy wow!!! someone besides me also plays CS !!! yayyy!!! :P :)

hi5 evryone!!! :)

Phoenix said...

i dont believe that girls cant be gadgets freaks... i am i know... i dont know maybe all the nitty ghitties but i take active interest in learning!!

btw i need help with my cam ka memory card... do you think u can help me out please?? because i have some very precious college pics there which i cant seem to load on my pc... :( and i dont want to loose them either.,,

id i cant transfer pics from cam to pc.. but i can see them properly in ym cam.. do u think my memory card is damaged?or do u think its got to do with my pc?

HaRy!! said...

guess not, hav a friend of mine whoz a gizmo when it comes to gadget, cant say that girls are less in to gadgets and stuff...its finally the interest whoever puts in be it a guy/gal.

Maybe when yu take it in large girls mite not take too much interest, but when they do they are equally done. Mite be wrong, just my views... anways nice write!! just came across yur blog...ciao

Rià said...

guess wht, contrary to the popular belief...i m totally a gadget freak. I love to buy gadgets and i cant think of buying something based on pure looks. I generally do my research on the product and only buy it once i m convinced abt the features of it. :)

-=A.R.N.=- said...

Nice to see a girl who actually likes technology enough to do a post on it!
:)
First in a long time - really.

For a guy like me...I can't imagine life without my iPod, phone, PSP or laptop.

Ashwathy said...

very well-written. i used to be not all that much interested in gadgets myeslf until i realised how much my bro keeps poking and prodding with everything. for a change, i decided to take his cue and now i take the effort of being much more savvy while using gadgets. and yes it feels good when others ask u for ur help for fixing technicalities! :-)